Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Life, See the Potential!

My sister-in-law recently gave me some copies of the Catholic Digest, a publication I was not familiar with, and I discovered the beautiful story of Patrick Henry Hughes. A 22-year-old from Kentucky, Patrick is a musician (plays piano, trumpet, and sings) and a member of the University of Louisville Cardinals Marching Band. He loves country music and wants to be a Spanish major. A pretty normal kid, right? Well, Patrick is blind and on a wheelchair, unable to walk since birth. Despite these great disabilities, he has overcome many obstacles and has become the man he is today thanks to the love and support of his family and his faith in a good God. Patrick has been traveling around the country to share his story and his musical talents with others and has just published a book called I Am Potential.

Catholic Digest reports that once, in school, a young Patrick said out loud "I can do anything I set my mind to!" One of his classmates, apparently trying to make fun of him, then said "If you can do anything you set your mind to, you can set your mind to seeing and walking. Why can't you do that?" Patrick replied, "Well, why can't you fly like Superman?" We can only learn from people like Patrick!

No comments: